How to Effortlessly Detect iCloud Private Relay in Action?
iCloud Private Relay is a privacy feature that hides users' IP addresses and locations. While it is great for privacy, it can pose challenges for businesses that rely on IP geolocation.
iCloud Private Relay is a new privacy feature introduced by Apple in iOS 15 and macOS Monterey that can help protect user privacy, hiding the IP address and real location from all the websites and apps' requests. But this also poses a challenge not just for Apple, but also for any business that relies on IP geolocation in trying to deliver targeted or localized services to their customers.
In today's article, we will talk about what is iCloud Private Relay and how to detect this kind of IP masking technique.
What is iCloud Private Relay and How Does It Work?
iCloud Private Relay is a feature that encrypts and routes your internet traffic through Apple’s servers. This way, no one, not even Apple or your internet service provider, can see your original IP address, location, or browsing activity. This ensures that your connection to the internet is secure and private.
With the iCloud Private Relay turned on in your device, a temporary IP address that corresponds to the region or country you are in is dynamically assigned to your device. The temporary IP is unique from your real IP address and also changes randomly over time. This means that the temporarily issued IP address will be recognised by websites and apps using IP geolocation to determine your location, rather than your real one.
However, iCloud Private Relay is not a VPN. It does not hide your identity or allow you to access geo-restricted content. It only protects your privacy by preventing websites and apps from tracking your IP address and location.
Why Does Your Business Need to Detect iCloud Private Relay?
While being a great feature for privacy, iCloud Private Relay can also bring a problem to businesses whose services get much better from knowing the IP geolocation of their customers. Let's illustrate it with a couple of examples:
- If you have an e-commerce website which provides different prices, products, or shipping options based on the location of the user, it might miss sales or conversions because of displaying wrong information to users with iCloud Private Relay.
- If you operate a service stream that operates licensing agreements with content providers based on the geographical location of the user you may substantially breach those arrangements or face legal challenges if you allow users accessing your stream through iCloud Private Relay to gain access to such content when said content is not made available by your stream in their present geo-jurisdictions.
- If you're running the sort of gaming platform, for example, that matches people up by location, you might create unfair or unbalanced matches if you pair users who are using iCloud Private Relay with ones who aren't.
- If you have an e-commerce website/platform but fraudsters trying to hide their identity during the exploition of their fraudulent activities.
Benefits of Detecting IP Masking Techniques:
For companies to identify the emergence of key technologies to mask Internet Protocol addresses such as iCloud Private Relay, VPN, proxy, and Tor. Thus, be able to:
- Give your customers the correct offers or ads.
- Help with the legal and contractual obligations in regard to content distribution and licensing.
- Assist in the elimination of fraud and abuses ensuring that your business is dealing with a real user.
- Understanding your real users' behaviour.
How to detect iCloud Private Relay with a third-party Service?
Greip is such a service provider that can detect techniques of IP address masking like iCloud Private Relay So integration with Greip's REST API allows websites to easily integrate detection of VPN and proxy into your system. For more information and details, please visit the documentation page.
This gives a new privacy-preserving feature, the iCloud Private Relay, which hides users' IP addresses as well as their locations. However, this poses some challenges to companies using the IP Geolocation capabilities to give personalized services to consumers. iCloud Private Relay detection is one of the feature-rich, easy-to-use tools that is capable of detecting such techniques of masking IP addresses with a high grade of accuracy and speed.
Stay in the Loop: Join Our Newsletter!
Stay up-to-date with our newsletter. Be the first to know about new releases, exciting events, and insider news. Subscribe today and never miss a thing!